Friday, May 13, 2011

The Beast is Done

Three months ago I was inspired to sew a quilt for Rivers. I got the whole quilt top assembled and then stopped because as a novice quilter, I was unsure of the next steps. I read blogs online, I consulted books but something about the process still intimidated me and I just abandoned the project. The quilt top sat draped over the back of a chair in my sewing room, looking quite lovely, but forgotten. Then last week my friend Stephanie posted an entry about her quilting group and then Sherry from younghouselove posted her first quilt she had finished for her daughter and I thought to myself....it's time. I was off from work on Wednesday, so Rivers and I headed over to Beverly's looking for some fabric that would make a cute quilt back. We were uninspired in Beverly's so we bought some batting and then headed next door to Village Grill to eat some pancakes and say hello to my mom. After the grill, we decided to stop by Strawberry Patches on the way home. Even though their fabric is expensive, their selection is wonderful and we quickly found the polka dot fabric that would serve as our backing. Back at home, I trimmed the batting and backing to the size of my quilt top (which I should mention was not quite proportionate as I didn't use a pattern for my quilt and simply made things up as I went along).  I started to do some topstitching when I ran out of thread. I thought about abandoning the project for a few more months but instead I loaded up Puddin Buns and we went to the quilting store that I remembered existed about a mile from our house. From this point on, I was a machine! I was dedicated to my project and could focus on nothing else (thank goodness Rivers loves her jumper, bad momma!). I was working on the bias tape until late in the evening and was about to sew it on when the instructions no longer made sense to my tired self. I called it a night and went to bed already dreaming about Friday when I could finish my project. Which brings us to today, Friday. The quilt is done! It is far from perfect, in fact it's a hot mess in many locations, but it is complete and hopefully, like the quilt from my grandmother, Rivers will find it very special one day. For now, she seems content to lay on it and even expressed her approval with an ounce of spit up - which if you know her, is her marker of anything good - clean clothes, people's carpet, her Dad. And because you are riddled with suspense.......





Ralpherson can't be left out of the action. 

2 comments:

  1. That is completely adorable! Oh and the babe and pup sure don't hurt either! :) Man, good work friend. Strawberry Patches is so awesome! My mom took me there when Ambrose was a baby and we picked out the most adorable fabric for a blanket he still sleeps with. Rivers will have this forever you good Mama you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. youre so crafty! i am impressed. this is erin on warren's account, ps.

    come down again and lets play!! miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete